June 3, 2013

Essence BB Cream {review}


BB creams (or beauty balms as their full name) are all the rage right now as they offer loads more benefits than traditional foundations. BB creams prime, hydrate, protect & perfect skin while providing a range of coverage. They also contain SPF to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Originating in Japan and South Korea (where I was at first very wary of trying them out while we were living there back in 2010), they can be worn alone as a tinted moisturizer, over serum and moisturizer as a regular foundation, or under powder, depending on the desired amount of coverage.

Revlon & Garnier have been the first that I have seen to introduce their versions, but I have been a little wary of forking out too much to try out something that seems very gimmicky. Which is why when I saw this one from Essence at Dischem for R54.95 I thought I'd give it a bash. 

It's light and blends seamlessly into skin with very little effort. Providing light to medium coverage depending on how much you build up the product. It leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized, and so far has lasted the whole day without leaving me looking oily. As you can see from my slightly cheesy and ID look a like photo's below, the coverage is light, but definitely evens out my complexion, and does a decent job of covering up my pigmentation without looking cakey. 

My only concern is that currently there are only 3 shades, so if you don't fit into the light/medium or dark category you are kinda stuck. But, its very easily to blend with a concealer for added coverage or colour options.


If you have tried and liked any other BB creams on the market please feel free to drop your thoughts in the comments section below :)