August 15, 2011

Getting my *Run* on!

I'm sure most girls will agree with me when I say that in order to get started on a new project/goal/idea, you need to have all the right stuff/equipment first right? Well, it's exactly the same when starting a new sport. You know you need those nice shorts that make your bum look just right, and of course the right sports bra to keep everything in place and don't even get me started on the water bottle!

Well, about 5 weeks a go I started running for the first time. It wasn't easy, but I have been following Shape Magazine's training schedule...12 weeks to run 10 k's. Last week (which was week 5) i completed the Total Sports 10k Ladies race, I didn't run it all, but I did finish...yipee! What an amazing feeling.

So to rewards myself, I went out and make a purchase, of these sexy little guys:


If you're looking for a store to buy your shoes from that really do know what they are talking about, check out Runner's Sweat in Fourways Crossing, Jo'burg. The guy who helped me had me running around the centre in my dress, with different pairs of shoes on, but boy did he know what he was taking about!

And I thought I'd also show you my running partners...

Cleo is an 8 year old Labrador cross Alsatian and is my most devoted running partner...

Katy is a 7 year old Labrador cross Great Dane and, despite her size, is a real softy. She has the loudest bark but never bites :)

Xena (yes, just like the "Xena the Warrior Princess" from the TV show) is a 7 year old Standard Poodle. But don't let these photo's fool you, she is the most vicious out of all 3 dogs. Her favourite past time is killing chickens (ok now I sound really cruel, she did this once and now is always on the lookout for potential targets!).

So there you have it. I take all three of these mutts out running with me. By running, I mean walking to the park and then running around it while Cleo and Katy (to the best of her ability) stay by my side, and Xena goes of on a mission to find chickens/rats/small dogs to harass :)